Advanced-Standing DL Program – Master of Social Work (MSW)
The Advanced-Standing Program is a 42-credit-hour program for only those who hold a CSWE-accredited BSW. It can be completed in three semesters when pursued full-time. Advanced-standing students fulfill professional foundation requirements by successfully completing ‘bridge’ courses typically offered in the spring or summer before beginning the concentration year.
Coursework is offered primarily online with face-to-face skills labs held on selected Saturdays at regionally convenient locations across Alabama.
Spring or Summer Semester (12 hours)
- SW 570 Research – Informed Practice
- SW 577 Components of Human Development and Social Systems
- SW 578 Social Welfare Policies and Delivery Systems, Social Problems, and the History of Social Welfare*
- SW 579 Components of Social Work Practice*
Concentration courses are offered primarily online with face-to-face skills labs. Advanced standing students who complete their bridge courses in spring may take electives in the summer; they may also take SW 501 and/or SW 525 when those courses are offered in the summer.
Fall Semester (15 hours)
- SW 532 Models and Methods of Social Work Practice with Adults in Mental Health*
- SW 533 Models and Methods of Gerontological Social Work Practice*
- SW 564 Models and Methods of Social Work Practice with Children and Adolescents in Mental Health*
- SW 565 Models and Methods of Social Work Practice in Child Welfare and Family Services*
- SW 525 Evaluation Research or an Elective (3 hours)
*Courses with skills labs
Spring Semester (15 hours)
- SW 501 Advanced Social Welfare Policy Analysis or an Elective
- SW 595 Field Education – 500 clock hours (9 hours)
- Elective (3 hours)
Electives Typically Offered Every Year
- SW 506 Social Service Planning and Program Development
- SW 513 Practice in Health Care
- SW 514 Chemical Dependency
- SW 515 Psychopathology
- SW 523 Family Preservation
- SW 528 Spirituality and Social Work Practice
- SW 529 Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice
- SW 536 Social Service Program and Agency Administration
- SW 549 Crisis Intervention
Please note that courses are subject to change.