LISBON TOURISM GUIDE
The City of the Explorers
What is Lisbon?
Lisbon is Europe’s second-oldest capital (after Athens), once home to the world’s greatest explorers like Vasco da Gama, Magellan and Prince Henry the Navigator, becoming the first true world city, the capital of an empire spreading over all continents, from South America (Brazil) to Asia (Macao, China; Goa, India). The former launch pad for many of the world’s greatest voyages is now where modern travelers discover.
10 Reasons Why You Should Go to Lisbon
- CULTURE: It’s one of the world’s great historical cities, with characteristic and surprising sights, cultural treasures, and a beautiful setting that make it a paradise for walkers and photographers.
- VALUE: It’s one of Europe’s best values — officially Western Europe’s least expensive capital.
- LOCATION: It’s the closest European capital to the United States and just around a 2-hour flight from all the other major European cities.
- CLIMATE: Its mild climate makes it an ideal year-round destination. Even in winter, when most other European cities are freezing, in Lisbon high temperatures rarely go below 10C (50F).
- RESORT: It is the only European capital located so close to sandy beaches, enabling visitors to combine culture with fun by the sea.
- SIZE: It’s a compact and intimate city, ideal for a short city break or a longer romantic stay, with a lively caf culture and a nightlife that is one of the most vibrant in Europe.
- VARIETY: Its surroundings offer an incredible variety of tourist attractions, from fairytale palaces in one of Europe’s most romantic towns (Sintra), to world-class golf and fun in Europe’s largest casino in Estoril, to surfing in Cascais or escaping to a natural park in Arr bida, to dolphin-watching in Set bal.
- GATEWAY: It makes a perfect base to explore many of Portugal’s most outstanding towns and villages, from Evora to Obidos.
- SAFETY: It’s one of the safest European capitals. Tourists are always automatic targets in all big cities and visitors should beware of pickpocketing in Lisbon, but serious random violent crime is practically unheard of in this city.
- WELCOMING: It’s a friendly city with a cosmopolitan population, welcoming to all visitors and families with children, and open to minorities and alternative lifestyles.