Ideas for Small Living Room Furniture Arrangement
Small living room furniture arrangement can be a challenge, but as shocking as it seems, small living rooms are often easier to decorate than large, especially on a budget.
The main design rules for small living room furniture arrangement are no different than in a large room: Choose furniture that fits the space, and don’t try to squeeze too much in.
Easier said than done, I know! But these tips and ideas for furniture layouts for small living rooms may inspire you and show you that less can be . MORE more.
Small Living Room Arrangement with Lots of Storage
This arrangement provides a lot of storage, while still providing plenty of seating. The long wall has enough room for a large shelving unit, and the table behind the sofa provides additional storage and a possible place for lighting.
This furniture arrangement is ideal for a single adult or a couple. With the exchange of the bar for a slightly larger table, this arrangement could also work for a small family.
During entertaining, the stools or chairs could be moved somewhere else in the room for . MORE temporary, additional seating, and the bar used as a serving area.
- Armless sofas look sleek in small spaces, but they are not especially comfortable for lounging about. You may not have a tiny living room forever, and a sofa may last 10 years or more, so choose a sofa that is comfortable. Think of your sofa as an investment and then purchase less expensive accent furnishings.
- When purchasing accent chairs, think light. Anything with a heavy look or dark colors will feel huge in the room. Armless chairs, like slipper chairs, can be a good choice. Avoid anything with a tall backrest. Transparent chairs such as ghost chairs look great in small spaces.
- In a small space, choose furniture with clean lines so the eye won t get stuck in one place – designer-speak for keep it simple. Overstuffed chairs and shabby chic slipcovers may overpower a small living room.
Small Living Room Arrangement for a Family
This furniture arrangement is a good choice for a single adult or even a small family. The use of a sectional sofa along with a coffee table is great for hanging out or playing board games.
An ottoman that doubles as a coffee table would provide extra seating. The dining table behind the sofa could seat two or four, making this an ideal layout for a small family.
- Choose your larger pieces, like your sofa, first. Stick to neutrals with your larger furnishings. Then add interest and texture by . MORE mixing in smaller pieces in different styles and colors. This will keep your space interesting so it won t have a generic, catalog-like feel.
- In small spaces, it is very important that you choose furnishings with a lighter feel and keep colors and patterns simple. In smaller spaces, color usually looks better in smaller amounts, like in throw pillows or accessories, such as vases or lamps.
- If you go with a center coffee table instead of an ottoman for this arrangement, look for something transparent in acrylic or glass. And steer clear of ornate furnishings – look for a table with simple or delicate lines. The table will seem to disappear, giving your room the illusion of more space.
Kid-Friendly Small Living Room Arrangement
The sectional sofa and tons of storage are perfect for a family with small children. Toys can be kept in the smaller storage unit, while the larger storage unit holds the television and other items.
The small side table provides a welcome place for lighting or a drink or both!
- It s essential to maximize storage in a small space. Storage can even be designed around windows, so don t let that stop you.
- To save money, look for stock kitchen cabinetry at building supply companies. Bedroom . MORE wardrobe or closet storage systems can also be modified for a living space. Set stand-alone pantries side-by-side on a longer wall to create a one-unit look.
- Home Depot, Target , Lowes, IKEA or other big box stores often offer good storage solutions for cheap, but don t be afraid to think outside of the box. Wall-mounted clementine crates or old filing cabinets can create a fabulous look (and lots of storage) for pennies!
- Don t be afraid to modify storage bins, boxes, baskets or furnishings to make it more appealing. I ve often attached a wardrobe to a wall and surrounded it with molding for a built-in look at a fraction of the price.
Another Solution for Small Living Room Arrangement
Oftentimes a window or other element spoils the best-laid plans. If storage or a couch just won t work on the long wall, this arrangement is a good alternative.
Don t be afraid to pull your sofa out from the wall. In a room with a combined living and dining areas, visually dividing the space with your sofa is a good way to define your living space.