Home Rentals in or near Fort Myers, Florida
Find Beautiful Houses for Rent in Fort Myers, FL
The city of Fort Myers is located in Lee County along Florida’s western coast. It’s separated from Cape Coral. the county’s other large city, by the Caloosahatchee River. U.S. Route 75 passes through the city, making it easy to travel to other communities along the coast. Fort Myers hosts a number of cultural attractions, including the Imaginarium Science Center and the Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium. Homes for rent in the city have access to a multitude of business, as well as several beautiful beaches and parks.
Interesting Facts for Renters
- Fort Myers was built in the mid-1800s as a base of operations for the war against the Seminole Indians. It was abandoned by the military in 1858, and settlers began to arrive in the area and build houses surrounding the fort.
- Fort Myers Senior High School, which was founded in 1911, was ranked as one of the best public schools in the country by Newsweek.
- The Edison Festival of Light is held in Fort Myers each January. The historic celebration honors the life and contributions of Thomas Edison, who had a winter home in the area. The three-week festival includes car shows, 5K runs, parades and craft fairs.
Useful Resources for Residents
- The City of Fort Myers website is a valuable resource for residents. It includes information on utilities, county schools, government officials and local attractions.
- The News-Press reports on all the latest happenings in Fort Myers. The newspaper has sections on sports, business, travel, food and lifestyle.
- The Greater Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce provides a list of almost 1,000 local businesses in the city and surrounding areas. It’s a great resource for renters who are new to the area.